For this edition of Things To Do In Quarantine (or TTDIQ), I give you a list focused entirely on the art of creating a delightfully chic, safe, and socially distant picnic. From what to bring, to what to eat, and (of course) what to wear, these tips work in the park, on the beach, or in the middle of your living space.
1) The Picnic Basket. I’ve been on a never ending quest for one that is both large and durable enough, yet not awkward to carry. Extra points for one that’s easy to clean and pretty, too! Enter this number that is somehow all of the above. And, of course, you can use any bag big enough that won’t fall apart if it gets wet.
2) I don’t love the feeling of sitting in the grass and getting up with a soggy bottom, so I do love this mat that rolls up neatly and can be carried on the shoulder and not take up precious space in the basket. Now you have a chic, dry place to park it.
3) I’m a reusable to-go dinnerware advocate. Between the scores of charming options out there and the many service items you probably already own, there’s really no reason to buy anything disposable. Here’s what I’ve got in my basket:
4) The perfect picnic lunch? Something you pick up at the store, of course! I mean, haven’t you cooked enough? This is supposed to be a break for goodness’ sake. My favorite: an Italian-style antipasto situation.
5) Ambience is important. The speaker on my phone is fine in a pinch, but the tinny sound that it projects can ruin a perfectly good playlist. This portable nugget is Scandinavian design at its best.
6) What to wear during this picnic, you ask? This frothy concoction transitions breezily from day to night. Pair it with one of these, a pair of these and your favorite set to snuggle into on cool summer nights and you’ve got yourself a capsule summer collection that’s ready for anything.
7) Other must-haves for a safe, socially distant picnic include, but are not limited to:
So get out there, keep your distance from others, soak up some relaxing vibes and come back refreshed and ready to get back to work!